Saturday, February 14, 2009

I'm here

And it is unreal. All last night I couldn't stop smiling, not when I landed in Cotonou or drove through the city or saw the ship for the first time. Thank you so much for your prayers for a safe journey--all my connections were on time and all my bags made it too. My total travel time was around 24 hours and maybe another four before I made it on the ship and into my bed. Not that time means much yet...it's nine hours ahead here, almost a night/day reversal!

I'm all moved in to my room. There are six bunks grouped in two's and I have two roommates so far, one from the Netherlands and one from the US. We are expecting a nurse from Germany tomorrow. This truly is an international ministry--I have already met people from 10 countries, at least. I'm confined to the ship for today, until my paperwork is complete, but it's been nice having a chance to unpack and get a sense of the ship before starting work. I went on a tour this morning and it is wonderful--so far beyond what I expected. Don't worry about my quality of life here. There are multiple lounges, a prayer room, a place to exercise, a nice dining area, decks where you can be outside, and even a place where they are going to set up a pool! Plus, I fit in the bed! Still, I can't wait for my first opportunity to be on shore.

There is so much to take in, and a lot to learn still. Pray for adjustment, friendships to begin to start forming, and my first day of work Monday.
Much love to you from Africa!!

9 comments:

  1. Kristen!I'm so glad to hear that you made it safely and are already adjusting. I will keep you in my prayers dear friend! I can't wait to hear more about your experience.
    love,
    emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son will fly home tomorrow from Tyler. I can't wait to see him and learn all about his Gateway training, but I know that puts us that much closer to the BIG departure. He will arrive in Benin on March 9. Thank you for blogging--I'll be looking forward to your adventures. With my only guy on the other side of the world for a year, I'll be hungry to read all I can get. Also, I've started a Facebook group for Moms of (Africa) Mercy Ship-ers. If your mom is a FB-er and/or would like to join us, just send me her email address: sher@execevents.com. Blessings to you and keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    There is so much for you to do in Benin. The entire crew of the Mercy Ship is a blessing. I am so proud of you and have infinite respect for the life you have chosen. Good luck and God Bless.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,
    How exciting that you are there! I have been praying and thinking about you daily. I pray the Lord places the people he wishes to have enter your life right there for you to embrace and share your love, knowledge,and compassion. They will be so blessed to interact with you. Thanks for the blog updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that last post was April : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kristen,
    Oh, I remember you talking to me about this while we were at the patisserie in ww. How wonderful it has become a reality. Much love and support to you!

    Sunyoung

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU FIT IN THE BED!!! YAY!

    Have an amazing time... praying for you!!!

    Katharine

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Kristen! I am so happy for you. It sounds like you are going to have a great experience as well as help a lot of people. I am very proud of you. We talk about you all the time at home and will keep in touch. Love, Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an amazing and exciting time for you! You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya! Beth

    ReplyDelete