Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lord, prepare me

It's amazing and unbelievable to me that in a little over a week, I will be in Africa and starting work aboard the Africa Mercy! It still doesn't seem real to me, this direction I am going, this place I will soon call home, these faceless people I will meet. The excitement is vague and overwhelming. There is joy, anticipation, and uncertainty, the product of a year's preparation only a week away. There is also a sense of peace. But mostly I feel joy in this unknown and a huge comfort in doing God's work. I have so much faith that He is by my side, that He is close.

I have a packing list, my suitcase, a backpack, and nine roommates waiting. I have a laptop and a camera to connect me to home, but I know from time spent abroad that it is impossible to share everything. I have a bag full of Beanie Babies to give to the children I meet and twenty dollars for someone who needs it. I have expectations and cultural habits and life stories coming with me. I have a curiosity about humanity and a desire to be transformed. Greatest of all, I have five months of life ahead of me where my sole focus is to serve a loving God.

Pray for a safe trip as well as the final stages of emotional and physical preparation in these last few days. I am so much looking forward to sharing my story with you!

7 comments:

  1. Wow K Marsh! I hope you are safe and I can't wait to hear about your experiences abroad. Watch out for mosquitoes and female sand fleas! Also I too have a bunch of beanie babies, if you can receive packages let me know and I can mail you a box (probably not all as that would cost a lot of money, but a decent amount).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen!! I've been thinking of you so much lately. I'm so glad that you've started a blog and will be praying for you.

    So proud of you for taking this bold step of faith. The scripture that comes to mind is Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him".
    You are stepping out in Faith and believing in God. I trust that he will reward you for this with his presence and heart for the people you'll be working with

    Sending you so much love,

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, it's great to see that you have started a blog! I will be checking in. Stay in the good path. Much love, Rand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear your stories, and I know that where you and God go together, amazing things will happen.
    Love from Walla Walla,
    Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, We checked out the Mercy Ship web site - heavy duty. You are in for an adventure of a lifetime. Your mom and dad must be so proud that you have followed in their footsteps through medicine. Keep your eyes and heart open, remember the risk / reward factor, keep your nose to the grindstone (grandpa's crazy mantra) and shoot tons of photographs that tell the story through your eyes... We are behind you 1000%.
    Much love and happy trails, Uncle Red & Aunt Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey pretty lady! Im looking forward to hearing the amazing work the Lord will do not only in you but through you as well!! Blessings,
    Amanda Weiman (Wildhorse representing!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As your journey starts in Africa, I wanted to share a blessing that spoke to me today and reminded me of you. Numbers 6:24-26 "The Lord bless you and keep you;
    the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Glorify God in all you do. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete